Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Wall Wood, Hatfield Forest

Took a walk round Wall Wood this morning. I regularly go here not because its particularly good, but its a convenient size so you can compare repeat visits, and regular has Fallow Deer. Today was more complicated because there is quite a lot of tree-felling going on so you need to keep an eye where you are putting your feet. I failed to do this and ended up going flat on my front. Fortunately I had my camera and telephoto lens round my neck to take the impact.

Mainly the usual Wall Wood stuff. From the entrance a distant Red Kite, once inside Treecreeper, Nuthatch, two Marsh Tits, Coal Tit, Goldcrest, Great-Spotted Woodpecker, about 20 young/female deer, and the usual glimpses of things that might have been. The most notable sighting was a couple of Redpoll sp. my first for the wood. I saw them and immediately though they looked a bit big and well-marked, possibly Mealies, but they were against the light, then in the tops of some trees. Anyway here's a photo, much expanded and lightened, of a might-have been.

No comments:

Post a Comment